FIELD TRIPS TO GPNC
If your class is considering a visit and would like to have one of our staff as tour leader, you may either:
Call: (316) 683-5499 and ask for Lyndzee (extension 103)
Or email: Lyndzee Rhine - email@example.com
We are now accepting reservations for the 2018 school year.
Please read the following before you contact us:
We are an educational institution. The field trip experience works best for school groups when it reinforces what is going on in the classroom at that time. When you call to schedule we will visit with you about what topic(s) would best suit your group.
- There is no charge for school field trips, but donations to the Friends of the GPNC are gratefully accepted!
- Transportation grants are available to help defray bus costs.
- It is a good idea to book as far in advance as possible. Have more than one date as an alternative in case your first choice is not available.
- Our minimum group size is 15 people.
- Large groups (more than 25 people) may need extra staff commitments, depending on the desires of the group.
- Our field trips are typically outside as much as possible, so dress appropriately for the weather.
- Long pants, even in warm weather, and sturdy closed-toe shoes are recommended (no sandals or high heels).
- Name tags are helpful.
Please remember that food (including gum and candy) and beverages are not allowed in the nature center, nor are they allowed on the trails when we work with your group.
The hours of operation are: Monday - Saturday, 9 AM to 5 PM, except Holidays.
Looking to extend your field trip? Combine your trip to the GPNC with a trip to another Wichita educational institution.
If your class wants to come on their own, please contact us anyway to let us know what date you have in mind so we will know what to expect and we can tell you how many other groups will also be here.
We reserve the right to turn away unscheduled groups if our building is already full.
We offer FREE outreach programs on natural resources topics to schools, clubs, and other community organizations.
This includes but isn’t limited to:
- All classroom settings
- Retirement and assisted living communities
- Neighborhood associations
- Community clubs and other group meetings
- Scout groups
The Great Plains Nature Center specializes in topics related to the great plains region. This includes local animals and plants, habitats and ecology, fossils and geology, backyard wildlife topics, hunting and fishing, wildlife careers, and more! Programs can be between 15 minutes and 1 hour. Naturalists can give multiple presentations during a single trip to your facility.
Outreach programs are limited to once a semester. There is no fee for our programming, but donations to Friends of the Great Plains Nature Center (FGPNC) are gratefully accepted.
To book your outreach program or get more information, contact:
(316) 683-5499 ex. 103